Sunday, July 19, 2015

DoubleWeave DoubleWidth

Looms take up space, and large looms take up a lot of space.  With the possibility of downsizing "looming", I may have to give up either my 8-shaft 36" Harrisville, or my 4-shaft 45" LeClerc.  Not having an 8-shaft floor loom seems limiting.  And not having my LeClerc workhorse (think BABY BLANKETS) seems even more limiting.

I like to use 40"-45" for baby blankets.  Easily done on the LeClerc.  I decided to try a double width doubleweave project to see if my skills are up for doing blankets in TWO layers.  I have only done doubleweave samplers following the excellent instructions published by Jennifer Moore in her "DoubleWeave Basics Book".

I had a bin of wools that needed to be used (part of the downsizing) and so I planned a project for a large wool throw blanket.  I decided to use the LeClerc loom because the Harrisville had another project going.

I put on a width of ~33" as two layers. Since the LeClerc only has 4-shaft that meant each layer could only be plain weave.  The opening would be on the right and the 'crease' or midline, would be on the left.  I also sleyed the sett more loosely right at the midline, and added a nylon floating selvedge.

The challenge of doublewidth is to only join the layers at the midline.  In this case it was the left edge.  During the first 12" or so I checked my layers every few minutes by lifting the shafts for the top layer and peeking in the side.  After 12 inches I felt more confidence and just wove carefully (and more slowly).  I did find myself catching threads, but less frequently than I worried.

Sure, but the real test is when it is off the loom.  I was SO VERY HAPPY when I found only one small error where the layers were joined!  The fix was pretty quick and easy since it is loosely sett plain weave.

I need to finish the twisted fringe and wash to see how the midline will look.  I will post some additional pics with the completed blanket.

It's Hard to Keep up with a Blog with all these Baby Blankets

I like M&O pattern for baby blankets.  The floats have never been a problem and the pattern adds great color and texture.  This blanket was done in all cottons.  The binding is a cute and colorful Owl print.