Sunday, July 13, 2014

Orchard #2 in Boundweave

I recently finished the second orchard done in the boundweave structure.  I learned many things from my first piece (see post from 12.2013).  One of the most valuable lessons concerned my wool choices.  For this piece, 95% of the yarn is Collingwood rug yarn.  It is the perfect size.  However, the colors available are muted.  So brights, like the apple red, yellow and green, are from knitting yarns.

Also note the pig which required a break in the pattern repeat.  Wasn't sure it would work, but it really does call attention to the smudge of pink.

The structure is 6 shaft boundweave.  Warp is linen sett at 8epi.  Weft is wool.  Finished size is approx. 26"L x 15"W.

It is highly probable there will be one more Orchard in this series.  Meanwhile, I am looking into a modified brocade technique as the next experiment.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tool to save LOTS of time

Being a weaver, I am not up on all the great tools available to the sewing/quilting crowd.  A few months back, while cleaning out some things from the house of an elderly Aunt, I came across a little box marked 'tape maker'.  Inside were three metal flattened cones of differing sizes.  I had not a clue what they were.

Luckily, a sister-in-law who quilts was there and told me they were used to make bias tape.  WOW!  It was like striking gold.  I make bias tape to use as blanket binding or seam binding.  I have googled making bias tape so many times and have never heard mention of any tape maker.  So I wondered if it was too good to be true.

When I started to make the bias tapes for the rosepath blankets, I dragged out the little box to give the tape maker a trial run.  Stuffed on the bottom of the box was one sheet of directions (dated in the 1980's) that made it all look VERY EASY.  And, so it is!!!

I cannot tell you how many hours I have already saved being able to iron the tape in ONE PASS.  Basically you thread your bias strip through the metal tip and iron the tape as it comes out.  Done!

This is one crazy, useful tool!

The blanket shown is the third of the Rosepath threading.  I did widely spaced stripes using pink, teal and multi-colored  cotton.  The binding is some flower-power Owls in the same colors.

MORE Baby Blankets

It has been a few months since my last post.  I have been busy doing three more baby blankets.  All were done on a Rosepath threading with various treadlings.  For two I used some lovely peach cotton I picked up at a 'stash reduction' sale.  The cotton was in skeins and was close to a 5/2 mercerized cotton in weight.  The warp was an 8/2 cotton in natural.  Owls are big this year.  The binding on the one pictured below featured owls and birds.