Looms take up space, and large looms take up a lot of space. With the possibility of downsizing "looming", I may have to give up either my 8-shaft 36" Harrisville, or my 4-shaft 45" LeClerc. Not having an 8-shaft floor loom seems limiting. And not having my LeClerc workhorse (think BABY BLANKETS) seems even more limiting.
I like to use 40"-45" for baby blankets. Easily done on the LeClerc. I decided to try a double width doubleweave project to see if my skills are up for doing blankets in TWO layers. I have only done doubleweave samplers following the excellent instructions published by Jennifer Moore in her "DoubleWeave Basics Book".
I had a bin of wools that needed to be used (part of the downsizing) and so I planned a project for a large wool throw blanket. I decided to use the LeClerc loom because the Harrisville had another project going.
I put on a width of ~33" as two layers. Since the LeClerc only has 4-shaft that meant each layer could only be plain weave. The opening would be on the right and the 'crease' or midline, would be on the left. I also sleyed the sett more loosely right at the midline, and added a nylon floating selvedge.
The challenge of doublewidth is to only join the layers at the midline. In this case it was the left edge. During the first 12" or so I checked my layers every few minutes by lifting the shafts for the top layer and peeking in the side. After 12 inches I felt more confidence and just wove carefully (and more slowly). I did find myself catching threads, but less frequently than I worried.
Sure, but the real test is when it is off the loom. I was SO VERY HAPPY when I found only one small error where the layers were joined! The fix was pretty quick and easy since it is loosely sett plain weave.
I need to finish the twisted fringe and wash to see how the midline will look. I will post some additional pics with the completed blanket.