Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Boundweave rug

I finally finished my boundweave "sampler".  And even though it is slow weaving, I love the result.

This is the rug that was in progress when the harness cord broke.  I did three rugs as a sampler to try boundweave.  I used carpet warp for the warp and three strands of cotton chenille for the weft.  While I know cotton chenille will shrink in the 15-20% range, I forgot to consider the longer floats would contribute to shrinkage.  After washing, there was a definate 20% shrinkage in width.

The cotton chenille creates a fluffy, thick rug which I like.  If I use cotton chenille again for boundweave, I will choose a pattern that minimizes floats, use a closer sett (this was 10epi) or add in some plainweave to reduce shrinkage.

No comments:

Post a Comment